I’m a Research Associate working on the Helping Little Minds Thrive project, led by Dr Christine O’Farrelly. Before joining PEDAL, I was a Research Associate in the Department of Sport and Exercise Sciences at Durham University, where I also completed my National Institute for Health Research School for Public Health Research (NIHR SPHR) funded PhD.
My PhD research involved assessing options for measurement of movement behaviour of pre-school aged children. I have also worked on a range of projects with a focus on improving child health.
You can find out more about some of my work below.
- Moore THM, Phillips SM, Hodder RK, O’Brien KM, Hillier-Brown FC, Dawson S, Yang G & Summerbell, CD. Interventions to prevent obesity in children aged 2 to 4 years old. (2022). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, Issue 9. Art. No.: CD015326. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD015326.
- Muir C., Adam EA., Evans V., Geijer-Simpson E., Kaner E., Phillips SM., Salonen D., Smart D., Winstone L., & McGovern R. (2022). A Systematic Review of Qualitative Studies Exploring Lived Experiences, Perceived Impact, and Coping Strategies of Children and Young People Whose Parents Use Substances. Trauma, Violence, & Abuse. https://doi.org/10.1177/15248380221134297
- Moore THM, Tomlinson E, Spiga F, Higgins JPT, Gao Y, Caldwell DM, Nobles J, Dawson S, Ijaz S, Savovic J, Hodder RK, Wolfenden L, Jago R, Phillips S, Hillier-Brown F, Summerbell CD. Interventions to prevent obesity in children aged 5 to 11 years old. (2022). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, Issue 7. Art. No.: CD015328. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD015328.
- Phillips SM., Summerbell, C., Hesketh, K., Saxena S., and Hillier-Brown, FC. (2022). Parental views on the acceptability and feasibility of measurement tools used to assess movement behaviours of pre-school children: a qualitative study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 19, 3733. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph19063733
- Griffin N., Phillips SM., Hillier-Brown FC., Wistow J., Fairbrother H., Holding E., Powell K., and Summerbell C. (2021). A critique of the English national policy from a social determinants of health perspective using a realist and problem representation approach: the ‘Childhood Obesity: a plan for action’ (2016, 2018, 2019). BMC Public Health, 21, 2284. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-021-12364-6
- Phillips SM., Summerbell C., Ball HL., Hesketh KR., Saxena S., and Hillier-Brown, FC. (2021). The Validity, Reliability, and Feasibility of Measurement Tools Used to Assess Sleep of Pre-school Aged Children: A Systematic Rapid Review. Frontiers in Pediatrics, 9:770262. https://doi.org/10.3389/fped.2021.770262
- Phillips SM., Summerbell C., Hobbs M., Hesketh KR., Saxena S., Muir C., and Hillier-Brown FC. (2021). A systematic review of the validity, reliability, and feasibility of measurement tools used to assess the physical activity and sedentary behaviour of pre-school aged children. International Journal of Behavioural Nutrition and Physical Activity, 18(1), 141. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12966-021-01132-9